BENGALURU: Indian discus thrower Vikas Gowda said he was targeting a comeback to competitive action in May after tearing quadriceps tendons in both his knees last year.
The 33-year-old athlete, whose
Rio Olympics campaign last year was affected as a result of the injury, said his main goal after a long spell on the sidelines was to impress in the Asian Athletics Championships in Bhubaneswar in June.
"I was injured the whole of last year and I was able to start training only a month or two before the Rio Olympics," Vikas told reporters here on Friday, adding that it was stressful not to do much in an Olympic year.
"I knew it was going to take a lot to do well there. I have improved since and I will start competing in a few weeks when I head back home."
The US-based Gowda wasn't at his best in Rio, finishing 28th among 34 athletes with his top effort of 58.99m falling way below his personal best of 66.28m. He finished 16th in a field of 18 in the Group B qualification round.
"I had torn quad tendons in both my knees. It took almost a year to recover from that. It's still not 100% now but I think it'll be enough to compete again," said Gowda.
The 2014 Glasgow Commonwealth Games
gold medalist said he would be able to assess his preparedness to perform at the highest level shortly.
"It'll be easier to tell when I start training at a higher level. I hope to start competing early to mid May. I've not lined up any events yet. When I head back home, I will plan out my schedule. There will be some small competitions to start off and I will take it from there."
The four-time Olympian, who was conferred the
Padma Shri this year, received his award in New Delhi on Thursday. "I was a little surprised. I wasn't expecting it. The ceremony was an amazing experience so it's definitely one of the highlights of my career. I never thought I'll be in a room with that many high-level, powerful people," he said.